Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Love and Justice Influential Themes in News “Comments” Sections

The above headline is obviously fictional, but it doesn’t have to be. In this post, I’d like to explore the possibility of making it real.

A recent post by one of my Facebook friends stated, “There are many things to be depressed about regarding world events lately, but the most depressing thing for me? -- reading "comments" under news stories.” It quickly generated 11 comments agreeing with the sentiments. I could just as easily have made that post. My daughter has told me countless times, “Mom, you’ve just got to stop reading the comments!”

These public conversation spaces have been taken over by people filled with fear and hatred. Why have we in the justice and faith communities allowed this to happen? We obviously care or we wouldn’t feel “depressed” after reading the comments posted in these spaces.

There is a knowingness within me that says these spaces could and should be used to spread the message of love and justice. I believe wholeheartedly that people who share our values around justice and who want to participate in creating a better community, could actually use these spaces to change the conversation, bringing the whole community into a better alignment with love and justice.

I believe that there are many people waiting for such a “movement” to emerge and that the time for the justice and faith communities to claim these public spaces is now!

I’m going to start adding a comment to a news story once a day that bring my values of love and justice to some news story. And, I’m going to use social media to let people know what I’m doing. If you join with me in this endeavor, together we can create a movement that spreads our message of love and justice!

I’m looking forward to the day when reading the news and comment sections are an inspiration! How about you?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! Are you going to also stick around in the thread and see what discussion your comment generates, if any? I think one of the reasons comment sections are so overrun by negativity is that these people are generally willing to fight with anyone who disagrees with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I’m going to start adding a comment to a news story once a day that bring my values of love and justice to some news story. And, I’m going to use social media to let people know what I’m doing. If you join with me in this endeavor, together we can create a movement that spreads our message of love and justice!

    I’m looking forward to the day when reading the news and comment sections are an inspiration! How about you?"

    That declaration just turned a wonderful suggestion into something truly magnificent! Thanks for that.

    And do you realize that you no longer need 'look forward to' news and comment sections being an inspiration to you... as they've indeed already inspired you... to take action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reply to Elena's comment: My vision is that people posting with love at the center will overwhelm those posters filled with hate. I will check in to see whether my comment has given courage to anyone else with similar values to post a comment. However, acting alone, I'll have a very, unmeasurable effect. It's only if others join in with this effort that change will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Ginny! I've been mulling over a blog post myself, and yours is a great call to take action! I would say that one of the things that depresses me about the comments is not simply that people disagree with me, or my position, but that people use attack, fear, hatred, name-calling, etc. It makes me wonder about the state of our democracy, and who is really out there.

    I suspect that there is a silent majority who are thoughtful, temperate, don't always agree on everything, but are actually willing to work together to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Diane. If enough people got involved in this movement, those voices would overwhelmed by voices of love and maybe some civility would start to be reflected in these public spaces.

    ReplyDelete