Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bigger than we imagine

As part of our discussion today, we touched on the topic of names for God that are stumbling blocks for us. These names have negative connotations and keep us from experiencing God's love. A bit later, I was reading at home and came across this line: "God is always bigger than our image of God."

We can, and should, use religious or spiritual names or descriptions of God that are helpful. But it may also be helpful to realize that no matter what words we choose, God is still bigger, is still more, than what we imagine. More loving, more understanding, more awesome than our image of God.

Sojourner Truth said, "Oh God, I did not know you were so big."

Can you expand your image of God?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like my whole life has been a challenge to do just that. There is a Hindu concept when talking about God as well as the self that says basically God is part of all, and the truest part of our-self is also God (God's Spirit,breath of life for Judeo-Christians) so when we look at anything we should remember we are that. I am that, You are that, I am you, you are me... etc.

    Not necessarily to say we are all like God, but to say we are all divine in some way.

    Lately I have been learning more and more about science and the earth, the soil, the patterns of life in the environment, the climate the solar system the universe... and each new things expands my idea of creation and what God is (or is capable of).

    But the best part is always knowing there is so much more out there to learn and experience and imagine. That it would take countless lifetimes... that there would still always be more.
    I like the idea that God is always bigger than we imagine, but also familiar, real, visible in all the things around us.

    ReplyDelete